Possible to save field values with custom navigation?

Hi! We building a multi-page survey and would like the user to be able to navigate to various sections of the survey based on a HTML left navigation bar and not mandate them to use the Next, Back, Submit buttons on the bottom to save the data. Currently we are doing href’s directly to sections of the survey but it won’t hold the data when we do it that way. I tried using hidden values but that doesn’t seem to do the trick. Does anyone have a solution for this? I’m thinking I use some onClick javascript instead of a direct href to cause the system to store the data. 

I also wonder if there is some javascript that could be added in the build section that could save the field when onfocus happens on the textbox/question.

Any help would be great!

Thank you!

Jim W (Moderator) answered
    IS 2.20K Rep.

You should be able to do this with a Javascript action.

There is an example of how to submit the data and jump to a page here:

https://script.surveygizmo.com/help/target-page

You would have to make some significant modifications to get your menu idea to work, but it certainly should be possible.

IS answered

The underlying foundation of each page of your survey is an HTML FORM.  Within the form, the NEXT, BACK, and SUBMIT buttons do more then just navigate – they are also responsible for posting the responses to the survey database.  You might be able to build a JavaScript to replace these buttons, but you still need to provide some kind of POST action to move the responses from the INPUT fields on-screen to the response database.

As for the problem of navigating between sections – you might want to contact SurveyGizmo Support and ask if the Section Navigator action is still available.  This action allows you to break your survey into sections, and then allows respondents to navigate between sections.   We have used this for special projects, so I will give you the following warnings:

This action is not a standard SurveyGizmo feature.  This action can damage a survey if not implemented correctly.  It is very rudimentary and offers no means to modify it in anyway.

When you define your Page Groups, make sure that you get them all correct the first time.  If you have to go back and make changes, the old Page Group(s) will still appear on the navigation menu.

Play with this action on a test survey before you try to implement it.  The first time we tried to use Section navigation we were careless and destroyed half of an existing survey.

Jim W (Moderator) answered

Login

Question stats

• Active
        • Views2818 times
        • Answers2 answers
        • Followers1 follower