How do I retrieve the answer to a question using JavaScript?

This is not made clear anywhere in the documentation. sgapiGetValue is part of their PHP-like API but unless I’m missing something, that function is not available using Javascript. Merge codes are easy to use w/ PHP scripting but what’s the equivalent in JavaScript? 

freestyle35 answered

There is an example of the difference between using sgGetValue and the JavaScript method in the SurveyGizmo API section of the documentation (  In JavaScript you obtain the answer value thru the  element IDs  (

The code and a working example of this method can be found in the documentation at

Good luck!

Jim W (Moderator) edited answer

This gap in the SG scripting capability still doesn’t have a solution (or if there is one, I can’t find it). Basically, I need the ability to modify HTML on each page based on an answer to a question or URL variable passed in. Here’s a possible way for SG to provide this capability:

1. Short PHP custom scripting, ascertain a URL variable value at the beginning of a survey
      2. assign the value of the URL variable to an persistent data object (PDO); PDO would be a new type of data the survey builder could add to the survey
        • PHP (SG scripting) could make this easy since it runs server side. I could get the value of the URL variable.
        • But, I need to be able to define a new object in SG called something like ‘Persistent Data Object’ and give it a name
        • I could use custom scripting to assign the data object a value but the server side code behind Survey Gizmo would need to make this object’s value available on each page. JavaScript runs client side and could access a hidden input field. The SG engine would simply need to create the ‘<input type=’hidden’ id=’id specified in survey build interface’ value=’default value that could be over ridden’/>.
      3. I could create a script in the <head> of each page that could manipulate the page based on the value of the persistent data. For example, I could modify the footer logo on each survey page to be the logo of the medical practice that’s passed in using a URL value.

I can talk through this with a developer but I think it would be pretty straight forward to implement. This would be a great enhancements to your scripting capabilities by providing a mechanism to connect server side scripting capabilities (PHP) to client side (JavaScript)

What are the chances of getting something like this added?

freestyle35 answered

The first link makes a statement that I had overlooked but it’s very important: “Custom Scripting runs server side and JavaScript runs client side.” The doc should point out one very important distinction and limitation to JavaScript in SurveyGizmo. Server-side gives you access to what’s on the server (e.g. questions and other meta data for any question on any page). This is made simple using merge-codes. Client-side limits your access to what’s loaded on the current page. JavaScript does have server-side capabilities (e.g. using the very friendly jQuery API around AJAX but SurveyGizmo hasn’t implemented this). Bottom line: if you want to access information from prior pages, it’s best to use scripting (PHP). You could put together a clunky JavaScript solution but storing the info you want in a hidden value on the current page, then getting that element id, etc… but that’s a bit of a kludge.

thanks for the info

freestyle35 answered

Question stats

• Active
          • Views2668 times
          • Answers3 answers
          • Followers1 follower