[Solved] Prevent duplicate answers in textbox list

I have a textbox list question where respondents have to rank products from 1 to 4 (and no, the ranking question types won’t work for this one).  I know that I can restrict their answers to only allow 1,2,3 or 4, but how can I restrict it so they can’t put the same number in more than one textbox.  So if they put 1,2,2,3 or 1,2,3,3 it still allows them to go through at the moment, but I only want them to be able to put each number in once.

Kathy Hanisc asked

Best answer

Thanks Katrina, good suggestion.  SG helped me with some custom scripting that prevented duplicates, but it was too late and I did end up using the ranking grid in the end.

Kathy Hanisc answered

I know this is not a built in option for this question (nor other open text question types), but probably possible via a customization (likely javascript).

This is a bit over my head in terms of scripting a solution, but perhaps another community user may have some input?

Dominic Sharpe answered

Is there a specific reason you have to use a textbox list? Could you use a drop down menu list instead?

It’s what I often use instead of the ranking question type. Set you answers to 1,2,3 & 4 and then in the ‘Validation’ tab select “Prevent respondents from selecting a dropdown value more than once”.

Katrina Lambert answered

Login

Question stats

• Active
          • Views1559 times
          • Answers3 answers
          • Followers0 followers