[Solved] Is it possible to present different question text based on a previous response.

Hi,
I would like to be able to change the wording of a question based on ta previous answer to tailor the survey to a respondent without duplicating the questions.

For example I might have a question

Are you a patient or carer?

If patient the question would be : Q1. Do you often feel on edge?

If carer the question would be:    Q1. Does your loved one often feel on edge?

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve 

Paritosh Mehta99759 answered

Best answer

There is not an option to change the question text entirely based on a previous answer. Typically, this type of situation is handled by having two separate follow-up questions (one for patient, one for carer) and using Question Logic to trigger the appropriate question based on the answer to the first question:

https://help.surveygizmo.com/help/setup-question-logic

You could also explore using merge codes, in case it’s something that you can apply to your use case:

https://help.surveygizmo.com/help/simple-piping

Hope this helps!

Dominic Sharpe selected as best answer
      • I did not think it would be possible, I just wanted to check as it would save some work in the later data analysis.

Thanks for the help!

In this case if you have more than one follow-up questions, you could make use of page-skip logic. That would allow you to ask a complete question set for patient and a complete question set for the carer.

If the questions are the same, you could even use some custom script or default merge codes to make a third set that is hidden but brings everything together for easier overall analysis.

SurveyMasterinTraining commented
        • Thanks for the feedback – I did not think it was possible without branching, although I like the idea of potentially merging into a third set to collate the information.
          Thanks!

Hi,

I think this is possible. If you can use a little bit of custom scripting, you could change the question text as per the response to a previous question.

https://script.surveygizmo.com/help/sgapisettitle

so if QuestionID 1 is where you are asking if they are a patient or carer, and if Question ID 2 is where you want the question text to be customized, here is a sample script that will do the work (without the need to duplicate the question):

%%varQ1 = sgapiGetValue(1);

if (%%varQ1 == “Patient”){

sgapiSetTitle(2,”Do you often feel on edge?”);

}

if (%%varQ1 == “Carer”){

sgapiSetTitle(2,”Does your loved one often feel on edge?”);

}

hope this helps!

Thanks

Paritosh

Paritosh Mehta99759 answered

Login