Identity & Confidentiality

We want to send out a survey and encourage people to share the survey with their friends so I assume this means that we just send out a link and ask others to pass it along. Given the scenario where we want the link to be shared, is there a way to collect information on everyone who answers the survey but allow their answers to be confidential? We want the email address and the name of the people who take the survey but also want them to be able to be honest with their input.

What is the best way of achieving both objectives?

Thanks!

shannon answered
    IS 2.20K Rep.

I doubt there are any good solutions that ask both types of questions and make it so you CAN’T associate them. You could make it harder to associate them by splitting the survey in two and have the first survey chain to the second survey using a URL Redirect Action or the Redirect action at the bottom of the Thank You page. The surveys could often be associated by time unless you have a very high volume, but this is still the best solution I can think of at the moment.

There are other things you could do or say to try to convince the respondents that you can’t associate the questions, but I think it is better to just put it in the text of the survey that you WON’T associate the data. Putting it in writing this way forms a sort of crude contract. Theoretically this should protect the respondents from nefarious uses of their data though it is probably difficult to enforce in practice. IANAL.

IS answered

Thanks so much for providing your responses – great replies!

For our purposes, it would be great if the first page of the Survey Gizmo could ask them to provide their information (kept in 1 bucket) and then sent them into the survey with those results kept in another bucket. We could achieve this through our website buy adding a couple of extra steps/links but I was hoping for something that was integrated into the Gizmo platform. Sounds like Jim’s scenario is the closest we can get to this.

shannon answered

We have a similar situation. We quickly learned that you cannot force people to share this information, but if you explain your purpose they will be more willing.  To accomplish this, we have placed a radio-button question in the primary survey that asks the respondents if they would like to leave their names and email addresses for followup purposes.  There is a URL redirect at the end of the primary survey with a logic condition that uses that question.  If they answer YES, they are re-directed to a second survey that collects their name and email address.  The second survey is styled very differently from the first to help visually reinforce the idea that their responses are separate. 

Jim W (Moderator) answered

Login

Question stats

• Active
          • Views581 times
          • Answers3 answers
          • Followers1 follower