Identifying unique answer combinations from multiple repeated questions

I am trying to build a survey where I have repeated questions/pages based on several sequential multiple choice (checkbox type) questions.

Question 1: respondent answers are “X” and “Y”

Question 2 (repeated based on Question 1, this is working nicely): respondent answers for repeat 1 (about “X”) are “A” and “C”; answers for repeat 2 (about “Y”) are “B” and “D”

Question 3 (should be repeated based on questions 1 and 2): respondent answers for repeat 1 (about “X”,”A”) are…, answers for repeat 2 (about “X”,”C”) are…, answers for repeat 3 (about “Y”,”B”) are…, answers for repeat 4 (about “Y”,”D”) are…

It is question 3 that I cannot get to work. I am struggling to find a way of getting the question to repeat only as many times as there are unique combinations or using merge code to integrate the selected combinations (“X”,”A”; “X”,”C”; and so on) into the question titles. There doesn’t seem to be a way of uniquely identifying the different repeats of, in this case, question 2 and thus uniquely identifying the different combinations that the respondent has entered.

The workaround as described in isn’t really helping since in the end you have to build logic for each option and I have dozens of possible answers so that would take ages. Also, there will be some more levels of complexity in follow-up questions (e.g. “X”,”A”,”1″;”X”,”A”,”2″; and so on).

Is there a simple way of extracting this data on the different combinations? It should be there somewhere, but I haven’t found a way of getting it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And please let me know if my question is not clear enough.

Community Admin answered

@Janvandeun : The only way that I can think to do something like this would be with custom scripting. Here is the documentation if you wish to try your hand at it:

Alternatively, this kind of customization is something our Programming Services team does regularly for a fee. If you would like more information about this service you can find that here:

I hope this helps!

Bri Hillmer
    Documentation Coordinator
    SurveyGizmo Customer Experience Team

Community Admin answered

Question stats

• Active
      • Views854 times
      • Answers1 answer
      • Followers1 follower