When creating a report, can one group >1 answer choice together to create a single segment?

I’m interested in adding a new segment in the Compare section of a standard report. A question was asked to classify participants. There were 4 choices total. I would like to have 2 segments total. 1 segment is one of the choices available (i.e. Undergraduate) and 1 segment is 2 of the other choices combined together (i.e. Medical Student and MD/PhD together). I’m having a lousy, frustrating time figuring out how to combine the 2 answer choices as 1 group/segment.

I’ve tried using the logic under Create Advanced Segment, but nothing I try allows me to save the segment. The Save Segment(s) button is actually always dulled out so I can’t ever choose it. 

Can someone let me know if what I’m attempting is possible? And if so, how I can accomplish it?

tomq498008 answered
    IS 2.20K Rep.

I have done almost exactly what you are describing without problems.

Megan Bronson45580 commented
      • I’m officially jealous. This looks like EXACTLY what I want to accomplish. Now that I know I’m on the right track, I’ll just keep trying. Maybe it was a glitch, maybe it was something else yesterday. Thanks for your input. I appreciate your help.

I’m having great difficulty getting this to work also.

The feature makes sense. In my case i’m trying to create two groups from 5 responses to a question on frequency of usage. I successfully create “Frequent users” segment (those who respond daily, weekly, monthly).

However, when I create a second segment (for the “infrequent users” (responded “annually” or “less than once annually”)) neither segment displays properly. Even if I drop the Frequent users segment, the “infrequent users” segment displays no data.

It’s almost as if the tool will not permit a second segment to be defined at all?

tomq498008 answered
        Lola Gill 6.97K Rep.

When building segments, one option will allow you to ‘Create Advanced Segments’ which gives you the option to build a more specific logic rule for your segment:

Using this ‘advanced segment’ you will be able to create a condition based on two answers from the question that the segment is based on.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks. I reviewed that documentation page too when I was at my wit’s end. I felt like I was doing all the right stuff, but it still wasn’t working. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your help.

IS 2.20K Rep.

Actually, while playing around with my copied report just now, I had a different problem where part of the advanced segment form was being displayed when it should not have been. I was making lots of changes trying to see if I could get the kind of error you were seeing and this is as close as I came. Reloading the page fixed the particular issue I had.

If your issue persists, you may need to contact SurveyGizmo support directly.

• Thanks for your input. I wondered if reloading would help, so I tried logging out and back in, closing the browser & then re-opening it, all to no avail. I’ll try again today and see if it was just a glitch I was experiencing yesterday.

Question stats

• Active
            • Views2089 times
            • Answers4 answers
            • Followers2 followers