Counterbalancing survey pages – setting different page orders to different participants

Hi, I’d like to counterbalance the order of presentation of my survey pages. “Counterbalancing” means the order of tasks/surveys/questions are different across participants – especially when one thinks that the order actually may have an effect. 

Example. I’m presenting two images, and asking for ratings of both images. Participant 1 gets the following order: Image 1, rating 1, Image 2, rating 2. Participant 2 gets the following order: Image 2, rating 2, Image 1, rating 1. In this case, the image presentation would be counterbalanced. 

Is there an “easy” way of counterbalancing survey pages across participants? Ex. If we set branching, Branch 1 gets order 1, and Branch 2 gets order 2. I know branching is easily done, I’m just not sure if there’s a way to “set order of pages” in SG for a specific branch. One issue is that we can’t simply randomise pages because rating 1/2 always follow Image 1/2.

Thanks for your help!

Community Admin answered

Hi Bri,

Thanks for you help. Indeed, that partially does the trick. The best case scenario is to have the exact same number of participants in each order – (e.g. odd numbered subject go to “order 1” and even numbered subjects go to “order 2”. Randomization unfortunately creates unequal groups, however it’s definitely better than no randomization/pseudo-counterbalancing. 

Is it possible to set up a script we define some type of if… then rule, for example: If survey ID is even, then page path = 1,2,3,4,5. If survey ID is odd, then page path = 5,4,3,2,1. 

I’m thinking that using survey ID, which is generated by SG, could make it easier to use a value that we can refer to in the script.

Thanks again, 

Stephane

LabDandeneau answered

@Stephane : You can definitely script something like this. The response ID is not available in the response itself so you would need to use something else. We have a survey counter merge code that could work for you. The key function for randomization would be the following:

https://script.surveygizmo.com/help/sgapijumptopage

If decide you’re not up to the scripting task this is the kind of customization our Programming Service team does for a fee. You can get more information about Programming Services here:

https://www.surveygizmo.com/programming-services/

I hope this helps!

Bri
      Documentation Coordinator
      SurveyGizmo Customer Experience Team

Community Admin edited answer

@LabDandeneau : Using page randomization you can set groups so that they are randomized together. I think this might work for your case. Here is a tutorial with more information:

https://help.surveygizmo.com/help/randomize-pages#randomize-pages-in-groups

One thing I should mention is to be very careful and do a lot of testing when using randomization in tandem with branching.

I hope this helps!

Bri
        Documentation Coordinator
        SurveyGizmo Customer Experience Team

Community Admin answered

Login

Question stats

• Active
          • Views1347 times
          • Answers3 answers
          • Followers1 follower