Check box grid that doesn’t require all columns to be ticked

I want to ask the language level taught in several languages. However, no teacher teaches ALL these languages. If I make this question obligatory, and only fill in the grid for English and Spanish, I get an error report.

Thanks

Lola Gill answered

Unfortunately, if you make a grid type question REQUIRED then a response must be entered for each row.

You might want to consider adding a NONE column to your question and making it the default response.

I am curious – your posting mentions columns.  However, the rows within a grid constitute the sub-questions, so the grid as configured is asking about what languages are taught at the different levels.  Is that your intent?

pennock54 commented
      • Thank you very much. Very kind of both of you. My intent was to find out at what level each language was taught. For example, I would just fill in English at C2 level. My next question is that if I make the question optional, do I still get the data? I imagine so. I will change the rows and the columns around, of course. The none column is a great idea -have just seen it. I could write “Please tick `none` for the languages you don’t teach.

Lola Gill 6.93K Rep.

You can review the following documentation as well:

https://help.surveygizmo.com/help/require-question-settings#minimum-answers-rows-required-setting

I’m with Jim – it seems that you need to swap your columns and rows to get the data that you are asking for (grids are row based rather than column based).

I hope this helps!

pennock54 commented

Login

Question stats

• Active
        • Views621 times
        • Answers2 answers
        • Followers1 follower