[Solved] Can I combine a radio button and check box question?

Hello,
I am trying to create a 2-column question, where the first column is a radio button column, and the second is a check box column. There are several questions in my survey for which I’d like to use similar formatting, and I would rather not split all of these questions into two separate questions. They use the following wording; ‘Which of the following factors will have the greatest impact on X? Which other factors will have a significant impact?’

Can this be done w/SurveyGizmo? Any help would be much appreciated.

I will attach a screenshot of an example question – I would like the ‘Greatest factor’ column to be radio buttons instead of the check boxes shown.

Thank you!

Deane asked

Best answer

Yes – this is possible.

You can use the Custom Table question type to build the question you have in mind.  You can learn more about this question type in the SurveyGizmo documentation – https://help.surveygizmo.com/help/article/link/video-custom-table

You should test this question type before you actually implement it.  The response data is reported as two separate questions which my or may not be a problem for you. And if your respondents use tablets or smart phones you should also test this question type to see how it behaves on mobile devices.

I would be careful about using this question type – test it before you use it.  This might not be the best way to get the usable information from your respondents.

Jim Wetherill answered
      • Thank you Jim! As a follow-up, I haven’t found documentation regarding adding ‘Other – Write In’ rows to custom table questions. Do you know if this is possible? Thanks again.

• Hi Deane – no I don’t think that it is possible to add an ‘OTHER’ field to this question type.
        FYI – We have used custom tables in a few surveys. They work well when you are asking simple questions, but for more complex issues they not worked well. Our survey designers are have started to avoid custom tables in favor of piping in responses from a primary to followup questions – http://help.surveygizmo.com/help/article/link/video-pipe-into-options-repeat-selected-answers

• Thanks again Jim. And thank you for the tip on piping, I will test that as an alternative.

Login

Question stats

• Active
      • Views455 times
      • Answers1 answer
      • Followers0 followers