[Solved] A series of polls?

I’m organizing a conference comprised of several sessions. I want people to answer a poll question after each session. I’d like to use one URL for the poll, something like conference.com/poll2015, and have the poll advance to the next question at the end of each session. Is this possible?

The alternatives seem to be 1) have multiple URLs, something like conference.com/poll01_2015, or 2) manually edit the web page of the single URL while the session is going on to point to a new poll. Both of these are possible, but neither one is elegant.

Thanks for any insight you can share.

resources asked

Best answer

Hello! The biggest challenge I see in automating this behavior is how you are going to “trigger” the poll to move from one question to the next. Logic in SurveyGizmo cannot be based upon time, unfortunately, but if you have any development resources available to you, achieving this behavior with javascript would be fairly simple. Something like this:

$(function(){
    // Specify the exact time when sessions will be ending
    var sessionOne = Date.parse(‘Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:00:00 MST’),
    sessionTwo = Date.parse(‘Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:30:00 MST’),
    sessionThree = Date.parse(‘Fri, 09 Oct 2015 1:30:00 MST’);

// Specify the ID of your hidden field here. General format is
    // “sgE-SURVEYID-PAGEID-QUESTIONID-element”
    var $hiddenField = $(‘#sgE-1234567-1-12-element’);

var now = Date.now(),
    currentPoll = 0;

if (sessionOne <= now && now < sessionTwo) {
    currentPoll = 1;
    } else if (sessionTwo <= now && now < sessionThree) {
    currentPoll = 2;
    } else if (sessionThree < now) {
    currentPoll = 3;
    }

$hiddenField.val(currentPoll);
    });

You’ll want this to be on page one, along with a Hidden Value action, and some type of intro text. If you don’t want to display this page, some additional javascript could be used to “press” the next button for the respondent. Note that this would actually have to be done in a “survey” in SurveyGizmo, as the “poll” type only allows for one question. I hope this helps you or others looking to achieve this behavior, and feel free to comment if something is unclear!

Nathan - Survey Astronaut answered
      • Wow, thanks for your very thoughtful answer. I appreciate your work. We’re just starting with SurveyGizmo, so this seems pretty advanced for us. We do have loads of developers around here, but none I think have the time to work on a marketing survey.

Login

Question stats

• Active
      • Views1455 times
      • Answers1 answer
      • Followers0 followers